Thursday 24 November 2011

Buy Nothing Day


I saw this quote on a poster last night, while drinking hot cider with my fellow book-clubbers at Drinkshopdo, a cute craft bar (is that a term?) near Kings Cross station. It struck a chord with me as it's a mantra which pretty much sums up my life at the moment. I have always been thrifty, picking up bargains at charity shops for as long as I can remember. I was fully clothed in hand-me-downs (mum timed my birth cleverly two years after her friend's twin girls!) and would always turn to the sewing machine rather than the high street as a fashion-obsessed teen. And now I have another reason to be economical with my possessions; every item I own will need to be either given to the charity store or shipped home when the Escape (from London back to NZ) happens. So although every inch of my being is yearning to nest and go crazy buying soft furnishings, I have to hold back. For now. While we're on the subject, I just found out that this Saturday, the 26th of December is Buy Nothing Day! In the UK at least. Perhaps a good day for a wardrobe re-shuffle, creating a new outfit from forgotten threads, a day to shine those winter boots, or do some baking. What will you be doing on Buy Nothing Day?  

No comments:

Post a Comment