Monday 26 December 2011

Trifle Time

Ready for trifle? Of course you are. It's Trifle Time!

This Christmas my 27 year old boyfriend asked me to make him a trifle(!) My memories of trifle as a child consisted of some ill-informed parent at my primary school throwing tinned fruit salad, jelly and whipped cream into a bowl together. Seriously, I was traumatized. So I didn't want to repeat the experience. However, I also didn't want the "adult" version of trifle - namely sherry or whiskey trifle. I hate liquor in desserts, for me it needs to be 100% sweet.

I prepared all the components of this simple trifle on Christmas eve, and assembled them on Christmas day. I made the sponge cupcakes from scratch, as I couldn't find sponge fingers at our local supermarkets, but store-bought is fine too.

Makes 6 trifles.

Ingredients:

For the sponge cupcakes:
100 grams caster sugar
100 grams butter
100 grams flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg

1 packet jelly mix (I used raspberry flavor)
Water to add as per instructions

Instant custard powder
Milk to add as per instructions

2 cups raspberries (I used frozen)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar

Method:

Heat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease the muffin tray. Melt the butter in a microwave, then beat the sugar into the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat. Add in the flour and baking powder and beat. Spoon the mixture evenly into 6 of the muffin cups. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Leave to cool before assembling with the rest of the ingredients. (These will also keep in the fridge for a few days).

Make the jelly up following the packet instructions. It's best to leave this in the fridge overnight so it sets nice and firm.

Make up 1 1/2 cups of custard, as per packet instructions. If you want to refrigerated this overnight, pour the custard into a Tupperware container and place cling-film over the custard so that the custard cannot come into contact with any air. This will stop a skin from forming.

For the raspberry coulis, place the raspberries (fresh or frozen) into a small pot with 1/4 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes until the liquid has become sweet and syrupy.

To assemble the trifles, divide the raspberry coulis equally between 6 wine glasses. Place your sponge cakes on top, pressing down with your fingers so the sponge soaks up the coulis. With a knife slice a cross-cross pattern into the set jelly, to make it into easy to handle cubes. Spoon the jelly cubes on top of the sponge, and cover with custard. You can also top it all with whipped cream, if you're feeling extra indulgent.

Serve with pride and eat like a child. Heck, eat this instead of dinner. I just did!




No comments:

Post a Comment